There’s been a surge in burglaries over Christmas in recent years with businesses being affected just as much as homeowners.
It’s not hard to see why criminals see commercial properties as easy pickings during the festive period. Many companies shut down completely between Christmas and New Year, giving thieves a huge window of opportunity.
That’s why it’s essential to make sure you’re prepared for the end-of-year break. Our comprehensive list of security tips is a great way to ensure you don’t give burglars the gift of an easy target this Christmas.
• Christmas is a busy time for visitors and deliveries, with criminals often taking advantage of this to slip into premises unnoticed. Installing an access control system is a great way to monitor people coming in and out of your business, while CCTV coverage of entrances and exits is also a good deterrent.
• Establish the locking up procedure well ahead of your last day and make sure all the relevant people are briefed. And make sure nobody’s left to secure the building on their own.
• If neighbouring businesses are open over Christmas ask them to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.
• An alarm is essential for all businesses and a monitored alarm offers even more peace of mind. With someone else keeping a keen eye on your business you’re free to relax during the break so don’t forget to let your monitoring company know your working dates over Christmas.
• If you have staff keyholders then make sure their details are correct and don’t assume everyone is contactable at all times – it is Christmas after all. Draw up a rota depending on availability if necessary. Or take the responsibility off your staff’s shoulders by considering a private security keyholder response, where a dedicated security professional responds to alarms on your behalf.
And if you’ve got any concerns about the security of your business don’t leave anything to chance - talk to a professional security expert like market leaders ADT today.