Following the General Election on the 8 June, FSB wrote to every elected MP in West Yorkshire to congratulate them and to set out our key asks for the new Parliament.
This Parliament will be crucial for small businesses. Clearly, with the countdown on, Brexit is one of the key areas of focus for small business, the self-employed, and the Government over the coming years. Following extensive research with FSB members in October, we have produced a series of policy reports on Brexit that we have been sharing with MPs, Ministers and senior civil servants.
Reports published so far include employment and our key ask that EU workers should be given the right to remain in the UK and trade which stresses the importance of continues access to the single market and free trade. Our most recent report on business support looks at how EU funding for business support can be reformed and improved post-Brexit; ensuring that small businesses don’t lose access to funding that can help them develop and grow.
Ahead of the General Election, we produced our Manifesto, ‘Small Business, Big Ambition’, which provided a task-list for the UK Government to ensure that it is working to support small businesses and the self-employed. In this Manifesto we pressed Government on four key themes in addition to securing a pro-business Brexit. These were:
• Creating a level playing field
• Improving working lives
• Building opportunity in every area in the UK
• Driving down the costs of doing business
FSB will be working hard to ensure that MPs lobby on our behalf to deliver these priorities for small businesses.
Here are the 22 elected MPs in West Yorkshire:
• Batley & Spen – Tracy Brabin MP
• Bradford East – Imran Hussain MP
• Bradford South – Judith Cummins MP
• Bradford West – Naz Shah MP
• Calder Valley – Craig Whittaker MP
• Colne Valley – Thelma Walker MP
• Dewsbury – Paula Sherriff MP
• Elmet & Rothwell – Alec Shelbrooke MP
• Halifax – Holly Lynch MP
• Hemsworth – Jon Trickett MP
• Huddersfield – Barry Sheerman MP
• Keighley – John Grogan MP
• Leeds Central – Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP
• Leeds East – Richard Burgon MP
• Leeds North East – Fabian Hamilton MP
• Leeds North West – Alex Sobel MP
• Leeds West – Rachel Reeves MP
• Morley & Outwood – Andrea Jenkyns MP
• Normanton, Pontefract & Castleford – Rt Hon Yvette Cooper MP
• Pudsey – Stuart Andrew MP
• Shipley – Philip Davies MP
• Wakefield – Mary Creagh MP