The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) hosted the West Midlands final of its ‘Celebrating Small Business Success Awards’ 2019.
Almost 150 delegates attended the event at the Forest of Arden Hotel in Meriden, where regional small businesses competed in eleven, hard-fought-for award categories.
The Awards recognise the very best small businesses and self-employed from right across the country. Every sector, every location and every type of small business are represented. They are all encouraged to enter, free of charge and whether an FSB member or not.
The event was one of twelve Awards finals being held across the nine English regions and the three Devolved Nations of the UK. Winners of each category - with the exception of the Community Award, which is Regional only, are going forward to the FSB’s UK Awards ceremony which, this year, is taking place at Battersea Evolution in London on Thursday 23 May 2019.
The FSB ‘Celebrating Small Business Success Awards’ have grown to become the leading showcase of the best performing, most innovative and most determined small businesses. Last year, the Awards proved a great success and had been the most successful to date. Yet, despite the extremely challenging business environment, this year the Awards attracted an even greater number of entries.
Proceedings were opened by FSB West Midlands’ member, Policy Representative and Co-founder of Warwickshire-based Emerald Group IT solutions business, Sarah Windrum.
She commented: “The standard, number and diversity of entries this year has been outstanding. At a time when the news seems full of doom and gloom, it’s been really rewarding to see so many small businesses doing great things and doing great too.
"So while small businesses are undoubtedly facing many challenges, our Awards demonstrate that many are, also undoubtedly, rising above and beyond them."
FSB Insurance Service is the headline sponsor for this year’s Awards. Managing Director and FSB member David Perry added: “We are proud to be headline sponsors of the FSB Celebrating Small Business Success Awards. Once again the Awards have shown how innovation, dedication and tenacity are driving forward some really diverse and successful enterprises here in the West Midlands. I hope that our regional winners enjoy further success at the UK finals in May”.
The 2019 Award categories and winning entrants are as follows:
1. Young Entrepreneur of the Year (aged 30 and under): InPower Academy CIC | Wolverhampton
2. Community Business of the year (Region only): Gloverspiece Minifarm Ltd | Worcestershire
3. Scale-Up Business of the Year: Little Soap Company | Worcestershire
4. Start-Up Business of the Year: Lower House Equine Clinic | Shropshire
5. International Business of the Year: KPM Marine | Warwickshire
6. Micro Business of the Year: Totem Learning | Coventry
7. Ethical-Green Business of the Year: Laundry Efficiency | Staffordshire
8. Digital Innovation Business of the Year: Purple Frog Systems Ltd | Shropshire
9. Employer of the Year: Pharma Packaging Systems Ltd | Worcestershire
10. Business & Product Innovation Award: Pharma Packaging Systems Ltd | Worcestershire
11. Family Business of the Year: Gloverspiece Minifarm Ltd | Worcestershire