Skip To The Main Content

Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme – information for retailers and trade buyers

Any business buying alcohol from a UK wholesaler for onward sale or supply to their customers will need to check that their wholesaler has been approved by HMRC under AWRS. 

You can check your UK wholesaler is AWRS approved at You will need to obtain your wholesalers Unique Reference Number (URN) to use in the search. 

For more information, go to GOV.UK and search for the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme.

A recorded webinar is also available on GOV.UK – here: and scroll down to Alcohol Wholesaler Registration