Keeping costs down key to realising vision of new immigration system, say small firms

  • 19 Feb 2020

Plans unveiled by the Government provide an outline of the UK’s new points-based immigration system. It rules out the availability of a temporary visa route and commits to awarding additional points to applicants who can speak English to a certain level, have a job offer, or can contribute to sectors where skills shortages exist.

The Government is set to implement a salary threshold for those with a UK job offer of £25,600.

New FSB findings – included in a report to be released in the coming days – show that small employers rank proficiency in English as the most important quality in a new employee, putting it above work experience or qualifications when asked to rank typically sought after traits.

 


It will also reveal that when business owners with EU staff were asked about which skill categories the majority of their EU staff fall into, around four in ten (41%) responded ‘low skilled’, while the rest (59%) responded ‘medium skilled’ or ‘high skilled’.

Close to four in ten (38%) small employers have struggled to recruit the right staff over the past year, with four in ten (42%) of these firms citing a challenge in finding the right skills as a reason for this struggle, and more than a third (35%) flagging the unwillingness of UK citizens to work in their sector.

The fresh research finds that a quarter (26%) of small employers have at least one member of staff from the EU (excluding those from the Republic of Ireland). The figure is up six percentage points since FSB surveyed its membership regarding the importance of European employees in the wake of the EU referendum.

FSB National Chairman Mike Cherry said: “We see the benefits of a points-based model, so long as it’s one that’s easy to use and affordable for small businesses – almost all of which have no experience of using our current immigration system.  

“Against a backdrop of stifling skills shortages, sluggish economic growth and an ageing population, it’s critical that we get this right, particularly as the timeframes are so short.  

“It’s important that we see a focus on simplicity and cost control. As things stand, the cost of sponsoring a Tier 2 visa to a small employer can top £3,000. We should be looking to keep that figure below £1,000, to enable firms to invest in jobs and training.

“And we should protect access to the skills small firms need to thrive. We know that small employers rank proficiency in English as the most important quality in a new employee.

“It should be a system that supports all communities. Additional points should be awarded to those planning to work outside of London and the South East.

“Typically small firms that recruit from the EU do so into medium or high skilled roles. We know that many of those roles do not have salaries of £30,000 or more, so it’s good to see the MAC and Government responding to our concerns in this area.

 


“It’s right that additional points are awarded for those with skills relevant to industries struggling with shortages. However, there are also many jobs in the care and construction sectors that may not meet skill requirements but are essential to our economy and society.  

“That’s why we’re proposing a new dedicated social care visa, in recognition of the chronic personnel shortages in this crucial sector and the fact that it will take 15 years for us to train enough UK citizens to address those shortages.      

“Ultimately, small firms want a responsive immigration system that is alive to the skills shortages – at all levels – that are holding them back.  

“They want to have a role in upskilling their workforce and bringing through the next generation. But that will be a long journey – we can’t be expected to make it overnight.

“Equally, the EU contractors that contribute so much to our economy should still have the freedom to offer their vital skill sets in the UK.”

Related topics