By Mike Davis, Head of SME Direct, AXA PPP healthcare
If you’ve considered offering small business health insurance to your team, it’s likely that you have a lot of questions around how it works. You’ll want to make sure that you’re getting the cover that will best suit your business and your team, so you can look after your people when it matters most. That’s why we’ve created our small business guide to health insurance.
We’ve included a summary below of some of the FAQs that we cover in our small business guide to health insurance. You can read the full guide here.
What is private health insurance?
In most cases, private health insurance covers the cost of private medical treatment for acute conditions that develop after your policy has started (depending on the details of your plan).
Private health insurance comes with the benefit that you can avoid NHS waiting lists and receive eligible treatment quickly, at a time and location that suits you. You’ll usually be treated in a private hospital without having to worry about the bill at the end of treatment, provided that it’s covered by your plan.
How might an SME owner benefit from small business health insurance?
Offering private health insurance as an employee benefit can have a number of benefits for you and your business. These can include:
- Employee retention. Offering private health insurance can be a great way to show your team that you’re investing in their health and wellbeing as much as they’re investing themselves in your business. According to one survey, 42.7% of UK employees said that private medical insurance was the benefit they would most like to see as part of their employee benefits package1.
- Recruitment. Private health insurance can also be a great incentive to help attract top quality new recruits to your business. One study by Canada Life Group found that 85% of employees are more likely to work for employers who offer clearly labelled benefits2.
- Reduced time out of work. When you own an SME, having just one person out of the office due to ill health can have a big impact on all aspects of your business. Small business health insurance can help to reduce the amount of time that you and your team need to be away from work due to ill health. From 24/7 online GP appointments, to prompt access to eligible treatment.
- Flexible appointments. Small business healthcare cover can give you and your team more flexibility and choice over your medical appointments, including where and when you’re treated. At AXA PPP healthcare, our hospital network includes over 250 hospitals and over 400 scanning centres. Our members also have access to over 34,000 specialists and practitioners.
How might employees benefit from small business health insurance?
Small business health insurance can also have a number of benefits for your team as well as for your business. These can include:
- Peace of mind. It can be a really worrying time when you’re unwell, particularly when you’re placed on a long waiting list in order to receive treatment. Small business health insurance can help to provide employees with peace of mind that, should they need to see a specialist, they can skip the NHS waiting lists and be seen quickly at a time and place that’s convenient for them.
- Convenient appointments. Medical appointments can sometimes add to the stress of being unwell if they’re at locations that are difficult to get to or are at inconvenient times. Small business health insurance can give your team much more control over their medical appointments. They could have an appointment in the evening after work or at the weekend.
- Treatment in a private hospital. Small business health insurance also comes with the added benefit that employees will often receive eligible treatment in a private hospital.
- Access to 24/7 health information. At AXA PPP healthcare, our small business health insurance also gives your team access to our 24/7 health information telephone helpline, Health at Hand*. With Health at Hand, you and your team can speak to a nurse, counsellor, midwife or pharmacist over the phone. Whether they’ve got a question about a prescription or they’re struggling to cope with the stresses of work and need someone to speak to.
AXA PPP healthcare small business health insurance
At AXA PPP healthcare, we think that the best way for you to get the healthcare cover that’s right for your business and your budget is to let you build your plan yourself. That’s why we offer a range of cover options and benefits that you can select from, so you only pay for the cover you need.**
No matter which options you choose, all of our small business health insurance plans come with access to the following as standard:
- Unlimited access to our 24/7 online GP service, [email protected] (provided by Doctor Care Anywhere) giving you a 20 minute GP appointment online or over the phone at a time and place that suits you. Appointments subject to availability. Fair usage policy applies
- Access to physiotherapist consultations over the phone with no need for a GP referral via our Working Body service. Available to members aged 18 and over
- Wellbeing incentives such as discounted gym memberships
- Access to 24/7 health information and support via our telephone helpline, Health at Hand.
- Heart and cancer nurses, available by phone, who are dedicated to supporting you and your family
*Health at Hand nurses and counsellors available 24/7. Midwives and pharmacists are available 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday and 8am-12pm Sunday.
**Certain restrictions apply if you’re buying healthcare cover for 1 – 2 people only. More information can be found in our small business health insurance brochure.
Sources and references